Regulated Areas During 2012 America's Cup on San Francisco Bay
The following is the official regulation surrounding regulated areas on San Francisco Bay during the 2012 America's Cup races. We have edited the official Coast Guard regulation for brevity and to remove details of less interest to recreational boaters.
§ 100.T11-0551A Special Local Regulation; 2012 America's Cup World Series.
(a) Location. This special local regulation establishes regulated areas on the waters of San Francisco Bay located in the vicinity of the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, the City of San Francisco waterfront, and the Bay Bridge. Movement within marinas, pier spaces, and facilities along the City of San Francisco waterfront is not regulated by this rule.
(1) The following area is the Primary Regulated Area for the 2012 America's Cup sailing regattas:
All waters of San Francisco Bay bounded by a line beginning at position 37°48′43″ N, 122°25′11″ W at the eastern end of Fisherman′ s Wharf Breakwater, running east to position 37°48′43″ N, 122°25′01″ W, running north to position 37°49′07″ N, 122°25′01″ W, running northwest to position 37°49′14″ N, 122°25′12″ W located south of Alcatraz Island, running west to position 37°49′14″ N, 122°27′13″ W, running south to position 37°48′23″ N,122°27′13″ W, running eastward along the City of San Francisco shoreline, along the Municipal Pier, east across the mouth of Aquatic Park cove to the Fisherman′ s Wharf breakwater then east along the breakwater.
(2) The following area is the Contingent Regulated Area for the 2012 America's Cup sailing regattas: All waters of San Francisco Bay bounded by a line connecting the following coordinates: 37°50′56″ N, 122°24′37″ W; 37°51′24″ N, 122°23′39″ W; 37°51′23″ N, 122°22′58″ W; 37°50′07″ N, 122°22′05″ W; 37°49′54″ N, 122°22′43″ W; 37°49′35″ N, 122°22′46″ W; 37°48′51″ N, 122°22′20″ W; 37°48′52″ N, 122°23′56″ W; 37°49′02″ N, 122°24′43″ W; 37°49′48″ N, 122°24′47″ W; and 37°50′55″ N, 122°24′37″ W.
(b) Enforcement Period. The regulations in this section will be enforced between the hours of noon and 5 p.m. on designated program days between August 21, 2012, and August 26, 2012. The enforcement period may be curtailed earlier by the Captain of the Port (COTP) or Patrol Commander.
(c) Definitions—(1) Patrol Commander. As used in this section, “Patrol Commander” or “PATCOM” means a Coast Guard Patrol Commander, including a Coast Guard coxswain, petty officer, or other officer, or a Federal, State, or local officer designated by the Captain of the Port San Francisco (COTP) to assist in the enforcement of the special local regulation.
(2) 2012 Race Area. As used in this section, “2012 Race Area” means an area within the Primary Regulated Area bounded by America's Cup support vessels, which will be marked by prominently displayed banners.
(3) Contingent Race Area. As used in this section, “Contingent Race Area” means an area within the Contingent Regulated Area bounded by America's Cup support vessels, which will be marked by prominently displayed banners.
(d) Special Local Regulations. (1) 2012 Race Area Restrictions. The 2012 Race Area is closed to all unauthorized vessel traffic, except for those permitted by the COTP or PATCOM.
(2) Contingent Race Area Restrictions. In the event the race area must be altered to accommodate a north-south wind direction or other shifts in weather, the restrictions in paragraph (d)(1) of this section will apply to the Contingent Race Area. In deciding whether to conduct races in the Contingent Race Area, the COTP will consider commercial shipping traffic that intends to operate in the Central Bay Precautionary Area west of Treasure Island. The COTP will issue Broadcast Notices to Mariners to publicize the use of the Contingent Race Area.
(3) Requesting Transit through Race Areas. Vessel operators who desire to enter or operate within the 2012 Race Area or the Contingent Race Area while those areas are restricted must contact the COTP or PATCOM to obtain permission to do so. Vessel operators given permission to enter or operate in those race areas must comply with all directions given to them by the COTP or PATCOM. Persons and vessels may request permission to enter a race area on VHF Channel 23A or through the Coast Guard Sector San Francisco Command Center via telephone at 415-399-3547.